Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I got this recipe from a co-worker who brings it to every pot luck dinner. It is really so very good and makes a large batch. If you're making it just for family I'd suggest halving the recipe. Nice change in pasta salads and makes the occasion seem special. Note that you must start making this the day before you plan to serve it.
- 1 lb rosa marina pasta or 1 lb orzo pasta, cooked
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (1 lb) cans unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges
- 1 (1 lb) can fruit cocktail
- 1 jar maraschino cherry, halved
- 1 (8 ounce) carton Cool Whip
- Put pasta in a large bowl.
- Beat eggs in small bowl.
- Drain the pineapple, saving juice.
- Refrigerate drained pineapple.
- In a saucepan, put saved pineapple juice, beaten eggs, sugar, flour and salt.
- Cook over low heat, stirring till thickened.
- Pour thickened juice mixture through a strainer over the cooked pasta.
- Mix well then and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, drain all of the fruits very well.
- Fold the fruits (including the chilled pineapple) and Cool Whip into the pasta.
- Mix well.
- Chill for at least an hour.
Have a similar recipe minus the fruit cocktail (sounds good tho) and we call it Frog Eye Salad. Nice change from the usually fruit salads.
Had this recipe years ago (or something very similar) and was very pleased to find it again. Had a light dinner last night of sandwiches and served this along side. Only change I made was to use half Splenda and half sugar due to dietary restrictions. This is soooo good! Thanks, MG - love your icon!