2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Grace Lynn's Note:
She beat out eight other contestants on The Next Food Network Star to win the Bon Appetit cover challenge with this recipe. I've made it once for a party and it was a hit!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 1/4 cups ketchup
- 1 3/4 cups low sodium chicken broth, divided
- 7 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 6 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 4 1/4 tablespoons mild-flavored molasses (light)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 large racks of baby-back pork ribs (each about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 8 tablespoons chili powder, divided
- 1Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Press garlic through garlic press into pan. Stir 30 seconds. Mix in ketchup, 3/4 cup broth, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, brown sugar, molasses, and vinegar. Bring sauce to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until reduced to 3 cups, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Transfer to bowl. Can be made 1 week ahead. Cover and chill.
- 2Sprinkle each side of each rib rack with salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoons chili powder. Arrange 2 racks on each of 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Can be made 1 day ahead; cover and chill.
- 3Position 1 oven rack in top third of oven and 1 rack in bottom third; preheat to 450 degrees. Pour 1/2 cup of remaining broth and 2 tablespoons of remaining soy sauce around ribs on each sheet; cover each with foil. Bake ribs 30 minutes; reverse sheets. Bake ribs until tender, about 45 minutes longer. Uncover; cool slightly. Cut each rib rack between bones into individual ribs. Brush ribs generously with sauce. Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
- 4Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill ribs until heated through and slightly charred, turning occasionally and brushing with more sauce, about 10 minutes. Pile ribs on platter.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rory Schepisi's Prize Winning Ribs
Serving Size: 1 (712 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.1
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1731.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 32.1 g
- Protein 4.8 g