If you like Roquefort cheese and burgers you will love this tasty combination. I have made these under the broiler with great results and can't wait for summer to try them on the grill. The butter needs to chill for one hour before using so plan accordingly. MAKE AHEAD: The uncooked burgers can be prepared and put in refrigerator for up to 6 hours before grilling. WINE: The perfect match for this burger is that wonderfully sweet but bold wine from Bordeaux, Sauterne. This is one of those cases where the perfect marriage is based on the wine’s similarity to the cheese and the wine’s complexity to pair with beef, a balance anyone would appreciate. We enjoyed this recipe with a great bottle of Château d'Yquem, 1989. Look for a Sauternes such as a Château Suduirat Sauternes 1er Cru 1997 or a Château Lamothe-Guignard Sauternes 2001. This recipe was adapted from Steven Raichlen the king of the Barbeque!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces Roquefort cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 lbs ground sirloin or 1 lb ground sirloin and 1/2 pound ground chuck
- 4 slices vidalia onions, 1/2-inch thick
- 4 slices beefsteak tomatoes, 1/2-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- vegetable oil, for the grill
- 4 kaiser rolls, split or 4 large hamburger buns, topped with onions
- 2 ounces arugula
- 2 ounces mixed baby greens
- 1In a small mixing bowl, blend Roquefort and butter. Scrape butter mixture onto plastic wrap and roll into a 4" cylinder. Refrigerate for about one hour, until firm. Slice the butter into 4 disks.
- 2Gently shape ground meat into 4 thick patties. Using your thumb, make a depression in the center of each patty and fill with a disk of Roquefort butter. Fold the meat over to encase the butter completely and gently pat into a plump patty.
- 3Light your grill and when it is heated brush the grate with oil. Thread each onion slice onto a skewer. Brush onions and tomatoes with a tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- 4Grill onions over a medium-hot fire until blackened and tender, about 5 minutes per side. Grill the tomato slices until grill marks appear, 1 minute per side.
- 5Season the burgers with salt and pepper and grill over a medium-hot fire about 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and let stand for 2 minutes.
- 6Brush the insides of the rolls with the remaining olive oil and grill until lightly toasted, around 10 seconds.
- 7Set burgers on rolls, top with the onion, tomato and salad greens and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roquefort Cheeseburgers
Serving Size: 1 (310 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 762.9
- Calories from Fat 457
- Total Fat 50.7 g
- Saturated Fat 21.5 g
- Cholesterol 157.2 mg
- Sodium 663.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 42.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed baby greens