Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A Mexican main dish salad that's sure to please. From Cookshelf, posted for ZWT3.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs beef flank steaks
- beef stock
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 10 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 anaheim chilies or 3 poblano chiles, deseeded and sliced
- warmed flour tortilla, to serve
- 3 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 8 radishes, diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 -2 lime, cut in wedges
- Put the meat in a large pan and cover with a mixture of stock and water. Add the carrot and half the garlic with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat. Skim the fat then cover and cook the meat gently for about 2 hours until very tender.
- Remove pan from heat and let meat cool in its liquid. When cool enough to handle, remove and shred using your fingers and a fork.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, add the remaining garlic, onions, and chilies and fry until lightly colored. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the meat to the pan and cook over a medium-high heat until browned and crisp. Transfer to a serving dish. Top with the onion mixture and surround with the tomatoes, radishes, cilantro, scallions, and lime wedges. Serve with warmed tortillas.