3 hrs 40 mins
Old Spanish sailor dish. Its name, literally translated means old clothes. It is meant to describe the meat's ripped look. It should be served with white rice and optionally black beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1First, boil water in a large cauldron and add salt and broth cube when water has reached a rolling boil.
- 2Once broth cube is dissolved, add meat.
- 3Let cook for two to three hours.
- 4Let the meat cool at room temperature until you can handle it with your hands.
- 5Rip the meat into long thin strands.
- 6This much meat should be enough for about 12 servings.
- 7You can divide the ripped meat into three piles and freeze it in ziploc bags for a later time.
- 8To prepare after freezing simply allow to defrost and follow recipe.
- 9Season ripped meat with garlic salt and lime.
- 10(Quantities indicated are for preparing a third of the total meat.) In a frying pan on medium heat pour olive oil and add garlic.
- 11When garlic browns, add onion, tomato and pepper.
- 12When onions are cooked add tomato sauce, water and salt.
- 13Allow sauce to reduce.
- 14Toss meat and allow to heat up for about 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ropa Vieja - Tasty Cuban Dish
Serving Size: 1 (418 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 364.5
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 69.8 mg
- Sodium 1745.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 38.1 g