Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
This Cuban stew is made by slow cooking a flank steak until very tender. Simmering it for a few hours makes it extremely tender. Ropa Vieja means "old clothes" in Spanish.
- Season both sides of flank steak with sazon and place in pot with just enough water to cover and simmer for 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove flank steak and shred with 2 forks. Preserve 1 cup of the liquid.
- Heat oil in skillet on medium, add sofrito and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of the liquid from the pot, tomato sauce and adobo.
- Simmer while stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Serve over white rice.
Excellent although I found it to be VERY SALTY. I would recommend not adding the 1 cup of liquid from the pot and just use a cup of plain water. Other than that, It was a DELICIOUS dish expecially over rice and I will be making it again!!! I made this recipe using already made Sofrito by Goya that I found in the grocery store and used eye of round steaks that I cooked in the crockpot on low for 6 hours along with the sazon and water. The meat was soooo tender! Thanks for posting!!!!