Recipe by chef FIFI
This is an old stand by for me, its quick and easy and can be served as a main dish or side dish. Its great with a nice middle eastern salad and a side of yoghurt and also goes well with baked lamb or roasts.This is a great potluck dish as well.Seasoning are approximate, you can adjust to suit your tastes.
Top Review by SolightlyUK
This is terrific and most definitely will be made many times at my house! I used ground turkey and made only a few slight changes -- I only used about 3.5 cups of rice, a whole onion, a half a red bellpepper, increased the cinnamon to about 3/4 teaspoon and I didn't add any garlic powder. Many thanks to you Chef Fifi!
- 1182.95 ml cooked rice
- 226.79 g ground beef or 226.79 g ground lamb or 226.79 g ground turkey
- 78.07 ml diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 425.24 g can chickpeas
- seasoning, are to taste
- 2.46-3.69 ml allspice
- 1.62 ml cinnamon
- 14.79 ml seasoning salt (more if desired) or 14.79 ml salt (more if desired)
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 59.14 ml diced red pepper (for color) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set cooked rice aside.
- In a pot combine onions,chopped garlic,seasonings and ground meat and brown, try to keep the meat from forming large clumps, you want it taco meat in consistency, so keep stirring often.
- Once its almost brown add drained can of chick peas and let meat brown.
- When meat is browned drain any remaining fat from pan and add rice and stir until well blended.
- Enjoy-- (variation to it can be to substitute chick peas for mixed can of mixed veggies).