Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love root veggies and over purchased for the Thanksgiving Day bash. I decided to do something simple and it was outstanding. Use as many or as few veggies as you like. They are all so sweet that size & amounts just don't matter!
- 1 medium rutabaga
- 1 large parsnip
- 1 -2 large carrot
- 1 medium turnip
- salt, to taste
- 2 -4 tablespoons butter (to taste)
- Peel and slice all veggies to similar sizes. They will become tender at the same time this way.
- Add to a pot of salted water, just enough water to cover.
- Bring to boil, turn down the heat and simmer until tender. Drain off water. Leave in pot.
- Add butter and mash. Add more salt if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Fantastic recipe although the directions seemed to stop at number 2 and didnt include anything further. I assumed what was left to do was to drain when tender, and mash with fork, then add salt to taste, etc... So that is what I did. I used the ingredients listed except carrot as I forgot, then when tender but not mushy, I drained them and mashed gently. Should be noted I did not remove skins. Then I drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled sea salt on it. It was very good; a more refreshing, lighter flavor than mashed potatoes; not so heavy feeling. On my daughter's I added a bit of organic butter and sea salt. I will make these again and will experiement with different root veggies. Thanks for sharing.