Recipe by breezermom
Carrots, rutabaga, sweet potato, and onion team up with rice and cheese for this yummy veggie bake. If you like things spicy, use pepper jack cheese! Cook time does not include the time for cooking rice....great way to use up leftover rice!
Top Review by Debbwl
What a nice vegetarian lunch this made when combined with a green salad. Made without using the 1/4 cup milk but did use the pepper jack cheese option and felt it worked very well with the veggies and lemon pepper. As neither DH nor I are overly fond of rutabaga we were both surprised at well it worked with the other flavors in the dish. Will make again. Thanks so much for the post.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup rutabaga, peeled and shredded
- 1⁄4 cup sweet potato, peeled and shredded
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice, cooked
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded and divided (If you like hot, use pepper jack)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the carrots, rutabaga, potato, and onion. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Drain, reserving the liquid. Add enough water to the reserved liquid to equal 1/4 cup.
- Combine the vegetable mixture, 1/4 cup cooking liquid, rice, 3/4 cup cheese, and remaining ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 1 quart casserole. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese. Bake for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cheese melts.