Recipe by morgainegeiser
This Romanian dish features often- neglected root vegetables. Make sure you cut all the vegetables into about the same size so they will cook in about the same time.
Top Review by little_wing
This made a very nice side dish, full of flavor. I don't like the texture corn starch gives to sauces, so I left it out and opted for a thinner sauce, just a personal taste. Thanks for sharing!
- 2 cups carrots, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 cups parsnips, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 cups turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut vertically into 6 wedges
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a steamer basket or rack in the bottom of a large saucepan and add enough water to come almost up to the bottom of the basket. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add carrots, parsnips, turnips and onion. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are just tender,.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Mix until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Remove vegetables, discard water, and return vegetables to saucepan (without the steamer basket) over medium heat.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and pour over vegetables. Cook and stir until glaze has thickened and vegetables are coated, about 1 minute.