1 hr 35 mins
This dish is for serious garlic-lovers! of coarse you can increase or reduce the amount of garlic, bake the garlic well in advance to save time. A tender cut of beef like beef tenderloin or sirloin steak is recommended since the beef is cooked in the juice for only a short time. This beef dish is almost similar to a stew, but cooked in a much shorter time. Serve this with hot cooked egg noodles or pasta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 -25 garlic cloves, unpeeled (or 2 large bulbs of garlic)
- 3 -4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil (with 2 tablespoons butter, more as needed)
- 1 1/2 lbs beef tenderloin or 1 1/2 lbs sirloin steaks, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons flour
- seasoning salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme (rubbed between fingers to release flovors)
- 3 teaspoons dried sage
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (can use more)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth or 2 (14 ounce) cans beef consomme, undiluted
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 -3 small rutabagas, peeled and chopped
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2To make the garlic: toss the unpeeled garlic cloves in melted butter and place on a small baking sheet.
- 3Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until beginning to brown; set aside to cool.
- 4When cool enough to remove the skins, peel the skins from the cloves (this can be done well in advance).
- 5In a large pot over medium-high heat melt about 2 tablespoon butter with olive oil.
- 6Sprinkle the beef with seasoning salt (or white salt) and pepper then dust/sprinkle (do not coat in the flour) with about 2-3 tablespoons flour; add to the pot and saute about 6 minutes.
- 7Transfer the beef to a bowl or plate.
- 8Add in more oil if needed and saute the chopped onions with the thyme and sage.
- 9Add in all veggies including the peeled garlic cloves with beef broth and wine; cover and simmer until firm-tender (about 20-30 minutes).
- 10Return the beef to the pot with any juices from the plate or bowl; simmer for 15 minutes.
- 11Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 12In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons water with 2 tablespoon flour, and pour into simmering juice; stir with wooden spoon.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Root Vegetables With Garlic and Beef Tenderloin
Serving Size: 1 (480 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 849.3
- Calories from Fat 487
- Total Fat 54.1 g
- Saturated Fat 20.1 g
- Cholesterol 167.4 mg
- Sodium 956.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 41.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: