Recipe by Sharon123
A wonderful recipe to go with your holiday feast, this is adapted from Bon Appetite(1997). Such a lovely presentation too! This can also be a main dish to serve 4.
Top Review by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
Simply delicious! I used Yukon gold potatoes, and added parsnips to the mix as well. It was to die for! I had to start the gratin in a lower temp oven because I was also cooking a ham. Once the ham was done I cranked up the oven temp and finished it off. It worked out well.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 5 cups russet potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced (about 2 pounds, 1/8-inch thick)
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, peeled, thinly sliced (about 8 ounces, 1/8-inch-thick slices)
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (about 3-1/2 ounces)
- 4 ounces celery root, peeled, thinly sliced (about eight 1/8-inch-thick rounds)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Brush 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish with melted butter. Arrange 1/4 of potatoes evenly over bottom of baking dish. Arrange half of carrots evenly over potatoes.
- Arrange 1/4 of potatoes evenly over carrots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over all.
- Arrange celery root evenly over cheese, arrange 1/4 of potatoes evenly over celery root. Arrange remaining carrots evenly over potatoes. Arrange remaining potatoes(1/4 cup) evenly over carrots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour cream over vegetables. Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup cheese over top.
- Cover vegetables with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until vegetables are tender and top is golden, about 35 minutes longer. Remove gratin from oven and let cool 15 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped green onion and serve.