Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This includes the "holy trinity" of Creole cooking-chopped green bell pepper, onion, and celery. Food.com doesn't recognize vegetarian andouille. The vegetarian sausage called for is Soyrizo brand, and is optional. It helps to have all your vegies prepped before starting to cook. Serve over hot, cooked rice. From "Vegetarian Times"
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 12 ounces vegetarian sausages, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch-thick pieces (Soyrizo brand)
- 4 large carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 small turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Stir together oil and flour in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook roux 10 to 15 minutes, or until it turns the color of caramel, stirring constantly.
- Add bell pepper, onion, and celery, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in sausage, carrots, and turnips. Stir to coat with onion mixture. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne, and hot water. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 45 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaves, and stir in lemon juice.
- Serve over rice, and garnish with parsley.