Recipe by Mirj
No, you don't eat this for dessert, it's a fantastic vegetarian main course or side dish.
Top Review by Kathy228
This was very good. And easy to make. I added an onion. The carrots dominated. Next time I'll use one less. The rutabaga, potato and parsnips were wonderful; all the vegs. "went" together. I did not peel my potato. This seems like a main course to me. Just add a salad and you're good to go. Nice recipe Mirj.
- 1 medium rutabaga (swede)
- 3 large carrots
- 2 parsnips
- 1 medium potato
- 2 -3 pints of chopped and skinned plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red lentils
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- mixed herbs
- 4 ounces plain flour
- 1 ounce hard vegetable fat
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the vegetables- peel and chop into 1 inch chunks.
- Place the chopped tomatoes, crushed garlic, olive oil, and a teaspoon of oregano into a large saucepan.
- Simmer gently for 5 minutes then add the chopped vegetables.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place in a large casserole dish, with the lentils, in oven on a medium heat (350 degrees F) for one hour.
- Prepare the cobbler tops by rubbing the flour and a teaspoon of mixed herbs into the vegetable fat.
- Mix to a stiff paste with some water and shape into balls.
- Place on top of the casserole for 20 minutes or until browned.