From Paranting magazine, September 2010.
Make and share this Root Beer Sloppy Joes recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup root beer
- 2⁄3 cup tomato sauce
- diced green chilis, to taste (1 to 3 Tbsp)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup minced scallion
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute, just until fragrant.
- Add the beef and sauté, breaking up gently, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chili powder, salt, and pepper Add the root beer, tomato sauce, green chilies (if using), and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a lively simmer and cook about 15 minutes, stirring often, until thickened. Stir in the scallions. Pile onto rolls or buns. Serve with sweet-potato chips and prepared coleslaw.