Recipe by Melissa Spangler
This recipe is from the October 2004 issue of Southern Living. It's a different twist to the usual pot roast. My kids & picky husband loved it served with mashed potatoes.
Top Review by love2cook47
Wow! this was fabulous! I love eye of round roast and was looking for something different. Will definitely be making this often. Only changes I made was I used about 3 cloves of garlic and browned the roast in a frying pan, and baked in a corning ware covered dish. The flavor of the juice was amazing, the meat was so tender it almost fell apart. My husband and kids loved it! Served with rice, and the juice was great drizzled on the rice. Thank you for this yummy recipe!
- 1814.36 g eye of round roast
- 7.39 ml salt, divided
- 4.92 ml pepper, divided
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 340.19 g bottle root beer (not diet)
- 340.19 g bottle chili sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle roast evenly with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Brown roast on all sides in hot oil in a large ovenproof Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion. Remove Dutch oven from heat.
- Stir together remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, root beer, chili sauce and garlic until blended. Pour root beer mixture over roast mixture in Dutch oven.
- Bake covered at 300 degrees for 3 hours or until tender.