Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Sweet treat for the kid in everyone
- 14 cups popped corn
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon root beer extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Combine popped corn and peanuts in a large buttered bowl.
- Combine water, sugar, corn syrup, butter, root beer extract, and salt.
- Cook and stir until it reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Pour over popcorn mixture and stir until coated.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- With buttered hands, shape into 3" balls.
- Wrap in cellophane.
The flavour of these popcorn balls is phenomenal! But, even though I followed the directions exactly, I had a TERRIBLE time shaping them into balls. I actually buttered my hands after forming each ball & set them on waxed paper. They were falling apart before my eyes. So, when I put them in the plastic wrap, I gave them an extra squeeze to try to keep the shape.