Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A southern treat. It's a nice change from chocolate or peanut butter.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons root beer extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- In a saucepan, melt butter over low heat and then add remaining ingredients.
- Place over medium heat and cook until the mixture reaches a boil, stirring constantly.
- Carefully clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pan. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches the softball stage (234 degrees F), about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and beat until thick.
- Transfer immediately to well-greased 9-inch square glass dish and sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Cool thoroughly before cutting.