Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
To crush the candies, place them in a resealable plastic bag. Smash with meat mallet or rolling pin.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups root beer
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (16 ounce) can vanilla frosting
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 15 -20 root beer barrel hard candies, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350*. Line 24 muffin cups with paper baking cups. Combine cake mix, root beer, oil, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until moistened. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake cupcakes until toothpick inserted in centers come out clean, 20-30 minutes. Cool in pan for 3 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan; place on wire racks to cool completely.
- Combine frosting and whipped topping in a small bowl; stir gently to mix. Spread frosting mixture on top of cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle crushed candy evenly on top of frosted cupcakes.
Loved them! Instead of using 2 t vanilla, I put in 2 t root beer oil/extract - really made the root beer flavor good & strong. You can find root beer oil/extract at any cake decorating supply store or online. I also did a quick homemade icing with extra vanilla and skipped the root beer candy.
We liked them but I was hoping for a stronger root beer flavor. Word of caution here, don't leave the house without moving them to where the sun can get at 'em...see what happens when you do, LOL.
i made it with diet and w and served with ice cream . my diabetic mother loved it thank you for posting dee