Recipe by Andrew Mollmann
Modified this recipe to be GF with great success: http://www.recipezaar.com/Root-Beer-Float-Cookies-57007 The cookies have the most perfect texture. Can substitute 1/4 cup skim milk + 1/4 Tbsp vinegar for the buttermilk. *The flour mixture I used is Bette Hagman's Bean mix: 2 parts garfava bean flour, 1 part sorghum flour, 3 parts cornstarch, and 3 parts tapioca flour. Feel free to experiment with your own.
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, butter flavored
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon root beer extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons half-and-half or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon root beer extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, butter, shortening, buttermilk, egg, root beer extract and vanilla.
- Beat at medium speed until well blended.
- Add flour mixture, baking soda and salt.
- Beat on low speed until dough forms.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonful 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl combine frosting ingredients beat at low speed of electric mixer until smooth.
- Once cookies are cool, spread frosting evenly over cookies.
- Let dry completely before storing in container.