Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour two 9" round pans.
- Mix cake mix, 3/4 cup root beer, eggs, oil and pudding mix in a large bowl.
- Bake as directed on package.
- Chill cake for ease in splitting layers.
- Split each layer into 2 thin layers.
- Filling and Topping: Combine Dream Whip, ice cold root beer and vanilla in a chilled bowl.
- Beat as directed on package. Spread 1 cup of filling between layers of cake with remaining on top.
- Serve immediately or store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
This was a pretty good cake, but it didn't have a lot of Root Beer taste.
This was a very unique, light & fluffy cake! As suggested by another reviewer, I added 2 tsp. Watkins Root Beer Imitation Extract to the batter & 1 tsp. (in place of the vanilla) in the frosting. The root beer flavour definitely shone through. But, there was just an odd dry after-taste - I don't know if it was the brand of root beer I used or not. (I used Mug Root Beer.)
This was a great cake, but I added Lorann Root Beer flavoring to both the cake and the frosting, which gave it a super- charged root beer flavor! (I found the Lorann flavorings in our local party/candy store)