3 hrs 15 mins
Buster's friend's Note:
Root beer and sesame seeds is the flavor pairing McCormick spotlights in this recipe. Might opt for more than the recipe calls for. The article's author served the ribs with mashed potatoes (omitting the 2 pounds peeled and chunked sweet potatoes the original recipe added to the pot for the last hour of cooking). Being a Southerner, I put 'em back... where they belong. Source: Adapted from McCormick.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6 lbs beef short ribs, bone-in
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and sliced (or carrots)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 12 ounces root beer
- 1 1/2 cups beef bouillon
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted (optional)
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 1Heat oven to 300 degrees. Place flour in a gallon-size food-storage bag.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 6- to 8-quart Dutch oven or 12- to 14-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the ribs to the bag, shake to coat with flour, shake off the excess and brown well on the meaty side, 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- 3Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the pot. Sauté the celery, onions, parsnips and garlic over medium heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add root beer, bouillon, tomato paste, vinegar and bay leaves. Bring to boil, stirring to loosen browned bits on bottom of pan.
- 4Return short ribs to Dutch oven, partially submerging them in the liquid. Cover tightly. (If your skillet has no lid, use heavy-duty foil.) Braise in oven 3 hours @ 300 degrees F.
- 5If not making ahead, skim as much fat as possible from the liquid. If making a day ahead, refrigerate & remove the hardened layer of fat before reheating. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Root Beer-Braised Short Ribs With Sesame Seeds
Serving Size: 1 (739 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2005.1
- Calories from Fat 1522
- Total Fat 169.1 g
- Saturated Fat 72.1 g
- Cholesterol 344.8 mg
- Sodium 522.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 15.8 g
- Protein 69.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: