Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great BBQ sauce which is quick and easy to make! Use it on grilled chicken, steak, ribs, pork or burgers! Your kids will love it!
- 1 cup root beer
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mild-flavored light molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger or 1⁄2 teaspoon minced ginger, from jar (I use this)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic, from jar (I use this)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (if you like thicker sauce) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in heavy medium saucepan.
- Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 20 minutes.
- If sauce isn't desired personal preference thickness, add some cornstarch mixed in water to thicken it up.
- Cool slightly.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- (Can be made 2 weeks ahead; keep refrigerated.).
I found the sauce to be nice and BBQ like, however, there wasn't a really strong flavor of Rootbeer or any other flavorings that went it. However, it is still good, and easy to make!
We grilled burgers and used this sauce to kick them up a notch.Good Stuff!