Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I doubled the recipe and baked my chicken pieces in it browning the chicken pieces first, I added in 1 tablespoon chili powder and some cayenne pepper, for a sweeter sauce add in more brown sugar to taste, if you like a thick sauce then mix in a little water mixed with cornstarch towards then end of cooking then simmer for a couple minutes to thicken.
Top Review by wicked cook 46
I added a bit more rootbeer and more brown sugar it was a bit to ketchupy for us. But then I used my homemade ketchup LOL so that changes it a bit. I browned my chicken and then pour the sauce all over and baked YUM. Made for Newest Zaar Tag
- 1 cup root beer (don't use sugar-free!)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light molasses
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional, but good to add in)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon garlic powder (I used fresh garlic)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- If you are adding in onion and garlic, then saute first in a couple tablespoons oil in a heavy saucepan for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, except salt and pepper; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 25-30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cool to room temperature, cover then chill overnight or tightly covered for up to 2 weeks.