1/1 Photo of Root Beer Barbecue Sauce
24 hrs 30 mins
I doubled the recipe and baked my chicken pieces in it browning the chicken pieces first, I added in 1 tablespoon chili powder and some cayenne pepper, for a sweeter sauce add in more brown sugar to taste, if you like a thick sauce then mix in a little water mixed with cornstarch towards then end of cooking then simmer for a couple minutes to thicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup root beer (don't use sugar-free!)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light molasses
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional, but good to add in)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2-1 teaspoon garlic powder (I used fresh garlic)
- salt and pepper
- 1If you are adding in onion and garlic, then saute first in a couple tablespoons oil in a heavy saucepan for about 5 minutes until soft.
- 2Add in the remaining ingredients, except salt and pepper; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- 3Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 25-30 minutes.
- 4Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Cool to room temperature, cover then chill overnight or tightly covered for up to 2 weeks.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Root Beer Barbecue Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (719 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 390.7
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2150.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 87.3 g
- Protein 3.5 g