Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Easy to transform canned baked beans into amazing baked beans by stirring in root beer and a few other magic ingredients! The 15 minute prep time might make this a family (and cook) favorite!
- 3 bacon, slices
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pork and beans
- 1⁄2 cup root beer (not diet)
- 1⁄4 cup hickory-smoked barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot sauce (I use Tabasco)
- While raw, chop bacon into small bits. I typically just stack and chop the slices I'm going to use. Place in skillet over medium heat and cook until crisp; remove bacon and drain on paper towel, reserving 2 Tablespoons bacon drippings in skillet.
- Saute onion in hot bacon drippings until tender. Stir together bacon, onion, beans and remaining seasonings and place in 1 quart baking dish.
- Bake beans, uncovered, at 400F for 55 minutes or until sauce is thickened.