I found this recipe in an issue of Southern Living. I changed it up just a bit. The root beer sweetens the baked beans!
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp; remove and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Sauté diced onions and garlic in hot bacon drippings in skillet over high heat for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Remove skillet from heat and add crips bacon, beans, rootbeer, barbecue sauce, dry mustard and Tabasco to the skillet; stir until well combined.
- Pour bean mixture into a lightly greased 1-quart baking dish.
- Bake beans, uncovered, at 400°F for 55 minutes or until sauce is thickened.