Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this recipe in an issue of Southern Living. I changed it up just a bit. The root beer sweetens the baked beans!
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp; remove and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Sauté diced onions and garlic in hot bacon drippings in skillet over high heat for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Remove skillet from heat and add crips bacon, beans, rootbeer, barbecue sauce, dry mustard and Tabasco to the skillet; stir until well combined.
- Pour bean mixture into a lightly greased 1-quart baking dish.
- Bake beans, uncovered, at 400°F for 55 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
We enjoyed these beans and they smelled so good in the oven! I used vegetarian baked beans but otherwise made as posted. Thank you for posting!
Wow, These are good. I made some change, such as used one can of maple syrup beans and one of regular beans. Also I used one cup of BBQ sauce, and prepared mustard, it's what I had also no Tabasco, I used Jalapeno sauce, still same essence, it was so good, very nice flavour, wife said it was too strong but I like it that way
Really good! Smelled absolutely wonderful while they were cooking. Not overly sweet with a slightly different flavor from traditional baked beans. Easily done ahead of time, too. I refrigerated the prepared dish then baked right before dinner. Thanks, Kim!