Recipe by Iowahorse
Some of the best ever. Fantastic with spicy mustard. Starlog: June 3 2016: After a few questions lately, I'd like to point one thing out. If you want a quality corndog, buy a quality hot dog to build your base. Get the brand and style YOU like. Those under a dollar a pkg brands like BarS and even Oscar M's cheap ones will not give you a proper corn dog. Well, unless you like those of course, then by all means go for it.
Top Review by Silent Whispers
Middle of November and I was craving "Carnival food," I doubled the recipe, but I had no skewers or dry mustard. These came out great anyway. Next time, and there will be a next time, I will add the dry mustard.
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 6 quality hot dogs
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon melted shortening
- 6 skewers (or sticks)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, mustard, baking powder and salt, mixing well.
- Add the milk, egg and shortening, mixing until very smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a tall glass.
- Put the hot dogs on sticks.
- Dip them into the cornmeal batter to coat them evenly.
- Deep fry in oil heated to 375 degrees until golden brown, about two minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.