Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Passed down from my grandmother, this is a variation on traditional Irish Soda bread that is more accurately called a Railway Cake or Spotted Dog. This bread is more of a dessert cake and is best eaten fresh out of the oven with butter and a good cup of tea!
- In a large bowl, mix together the baking powder, salt, sugar, and flour.
- Rub in the shortening.
- Add raisins.
- Beat together the eggs and milk.
- Add egg mixture to the dry mixture.
- Mix together with your hands on a floured surface until well blended.
- Roll to fit into a greased cast iron skillet.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes.
- Turn down heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for another 30 to 35 minutes.
- Serve warm.