Prep 3 hrs
Cook 20 mins
If you like whole wheat, this is a winner. My wife is diabetic and can not eat white bread. I developed the following recipe which turned out great. I MIX EVERYTHING TOGETHER AND PROCESS IN MY BREAD MACHINE ON THE DOUGH CYCLE.
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Crisco
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄8 cups warm water (2 tbsp= 1/8 cup)
- 3 cups white bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons dry yeast
- Add the first six ingredients, cream of tartar, sugar, salt, crisco, egg and milk to the bread pan.
- next add warm (not hot) water
- mix your white and whole wheat flour together and gently pour on top water.
- make a small indentation in the center of the flour and add your yeast.
- add pan to bread machine and process on dough cycle.
- remove from bread machine after completing cycle and shape in to loaf and place in lightly oiled bread pan.
- cover with light dish towel and let raise in a draft free warm area until double in size.
- gently brush top with milk and place in 350 degree preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- since most ovens vary in heat it may take a little longer to reach the golden brown stage.
- lightly brush top with oleo or butter while still hot.
- if you mix by hand, let dough raise until it doubles then punch down and place in bread pans following the above instructions.