Recipe by Chef Ronald R.
This is is a simple but elegant recipe that I developed over time by trial and error. It not only makes wonderful dinner rolls but a fantastic loaf of bread. All ingredieants are added to your bread machine and processed on the dough cycle.
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Crisco
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄8 cups warm water (2 tbsp=1/8 cup)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons dry yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- Add your egg and milk to the bottom of bread machine pan.
- Thoroughly mix the first five ingredients together and pour on top of egg and milk.
- Mix yeast with warm (not hot) water and pour on top of flour.
- Remove the dough from the bread machine after completing the dough cycle.
- Roll dough out to 1/2 inch thick or a little thicker if desired. Cut with biscuit cutter placing 1/2 inch apart on lightly oiled cookie sheet.
- Place in 400 degree oven and bake 13 minutes.
- Check half way through baking as most oven temps. vary.
- If you mix by hand, let dough raise until it doubles. Punch down, role out, cut with biscuit cutter. Place on cookie sheet and let raise for one hour before baking.
- Remove from oven and lightly butter tops with pastry brush. Place on rack for cooling.