- 1⁄2 lb macaroni
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup panko breadcrumbs (optional) or 1⁄3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil macaroni and drain thoroughly. Stir in butter and egg.
- Mix salt and mustard with 1 tablespoons hot water. Add to milk. Add the cheese, leaving enough to sprinkle on top. Pour into buttered casserole, add milk, sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350F for about 45 minutes or until custard is set and top is crusty.
- I like to sprinkle the bread crumbs atop the mac mixture to get a crunchy crust.