Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
RONALD REAGAN'S MACARONI AND CHEESE from The White House Family Cookbook by H. Haller and V. Aronson Everytime I make this I there are NO left overs and there's only three in my family. ;)
- 1⁄2 lb macaroni
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄3 cup panko breadcrumbs (optional) or 1⁄3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (optional)
- Boil macaroni and drain thoroughly. Stir in butter and egg.
- Mix salt and mustard with 1 tablespoons hot water. Add to milk. Add the cheese, leaving enough to sprinkle on top. Pour into buttered casserole, add milk, sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350F for about 45 minutes or until custard is set and top is crusty.
- I like to sprinkle the bread crumbs atop the mac mixture to get a crunchy crust.
Excellent! The egg and sharp cheddar make the difference.
This is an excellant dish. My daughter's friend brought it to us when she was recovering from surgery. We had alot of food so we ate it the next day. We used the microwave to heat it so we could do individual servings. I will definately make this dish when I need a dish to take to someone.
I made this recipe as a last minute item for a family gathering. It was so simple and delicious. I made a double recipe and we had no leftovers. If you get the chance do yourself a favor and try this.