Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This I heard was President Reagan's favorite homemade chili as prepared by White House Executive Chef Henry Haller. Will serve about 16 people. Chef Haller had served variations of this chili recipe in the White house since the Johnson administration, and it has proven to be one non-partisan pot of chili.
- Using a 1 1/2-gallon heavy pot, melt bacon drippings.
- When hot, saute onions and garlic cloves. Add ground beef and chili powder.
- Stir until meat is well browned. Add red wine. (optional).
- Add salt, beef base, tomatoes, bay leaf and sugar.
- Simmer chili meat, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Then add pinto beans to the meat.
- Simmer chili con carne for 1 hour, covered over low flame, stirring gently from time to time. Test for flavor.
Tasty chili! I used ground turkey and hot chili powder as we like a bit of a kick. The wine gives this a hearty flavor. I did simmer uncovered during the last 15 minutes to thicken the chili up a bit. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for My3Chefs 2013