Recipe by mariposa13
Rompope is strong, sweet and meant to be sipped, so small glasses are in order. Refrigerated, it will keep indefinitely. Cook time is for refrigeration time.
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (real one)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 cup finely ground almonds (optional) or 1⁄4 cup almond meal (optional)
- 12 egg yolks
- 2 cups light rum or 2 cups brandy
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon stick (and ground almonds, if you are using them) in a large saucepan.
- Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature.
- Beat the egg yolks until thick and lemony. Remove the cinnamon stick from the milk mixture, and gradually whisk the egg yolks into the milk mixture.
- Return to low heat and, stirring constantly, cook until mixture coats a spoon.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Add the rum or brandy to the mixture, stir well.
- Transfer to a container and cover tightly.
- Refrigerate for 1 or 2 days before serving.
- Makes 1-1/2 quarts.