Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Rompope is strong, sweet and meant to be sipped, so small glasses are in order. Refrigerated, it will keep indefinitely. Cook time is for refrigeration time.
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (real one)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 cup finely ground almonds (optional) or 1⁄4 cup almond meal (optional)
- 12 egg yolks
- 2 cups light rum or 2 cups brandy
- Combine the milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon stick (and ground almonds, if you are using them) in a large saucepan.
- Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature.
- Beat the egg yolks until thick and lemony. Remove the cinnamon stick from the milk mixture, and gradually whisk the egg yolks into the milk mixture.
- Return to low heat and, stirring constantly, cook until mixture coats a spoon.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Add the rum or brandy to the mixture, stir well.
- Transfer to a container and cover tightly.
- Refrigerate for 1 or 2 days before serving.
- Makes 1-1/2 quarts.
Made this for christmas eve and my family really enjoyed it. I did cut down the Rum by half because we are not big on alcohol and the recipe quadrupled well.