Prep 8 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a sophisticated salad that's perfect for taking on a romantic picnic date in the park. Adjust the ingredients to your tastes and enjoy!
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- salt or pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 4 ounces walnuts
- 4 -6 ripe strawberries
- Cook rice according to package directions. You could use chicken broth instead of water.
- In a bowl whisk together vinegar, oil, mustard, honey, salt, pepper, garlic and terragon.
- As soon as the rice is done, mix it with the dressing.
- Fold in the scallions.
- Chill in the refrigerator 30-60 minutes. This salad tastes great when it is not too cold.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Mix in half of the walnuts. Sprinkle rest on top. You could roast them first if you wanted.
- Thinnly slice strawberries and arrange them on top.
Made for Fall 09 PAC Orphange adoption. I doubled the recipe and used a ziplock put-away container to mold it into which worked wonderfully as it slipped out of the mold cleanly and nicely. I enjoyed the flavor and beauty of this recipe, and only wish I had someone to make it for a nice romantic picnic salad. I am adding this to my Salad Cookbook and will make again for a family gathering tripling the recipe, and adding just a touch more dijon for added flavor. Thank you for sharing this recipe. 11/12 Just a note, made this recipe up to serve at my daughters wedding dinner (see pic) So many people enjoyed this recipe and asked for it...of course I referred them to this site and gave them the recipe number...Way to go girl for a real winner!!!
This was interesting and different with the strawberries. I quartered the reipe, using uncooked rice as directed and got enough for 2 servings.
This is a very good salad and a tasty dressing to boot! I plan on trying it without the wild rice which I know was a required ingredient, but wild rice is just not for me. I do like a mixture of wild rice and brown rice which I think would make for a better tasting. Also in my survey, I mentioned I thought the walnuts should be toasted, which I didn't notice was a suggestion in directions.