Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is my signature sauce. The aroma will waft through your house and make everyone anticipate the meal! It's light but REALLY delicious! I have added meatballs or sausage to this recipe, but it's wonderful as is!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 teaspoons chili flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add olive oil, minced garlic cloves, and chili flakes to a cold frying pan.
- Heat to medium/high. Do NOT brown the garlic!
- As soon as the aroma of the garlic and chili flakes begins to escape, add the canned tomatoes, salt and 1/2 the basil.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add water.
- Lower heat and simmer for at least 1 hour.
- Reduce sauce by half.
- When ready to serve, garnish each plate with leftover fresh basil.
- Serve over your favourite pasta shape.
GREAT TASTING SAUCE, & just the thing for my son & his wife who are wanna be vegetarians! Made up a double batch &, after tasting it for myself, sent it home with them! Almost reduced the amount of chili flakes, but am glad that I didn't ~ The taste was just right! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees for this Spring's Pick-A-Chef]
I made this for DH and it met with an ok response. I used piri piri in the absence of chili flakes and that did pack a punch so he wasn't complaining there, he just said that other recipes I have tried tasted even better, so I think that it's a case of we are spoiled by Zaar and getting rather choosey. The good news it that DH said he wouldn't mind to have this again. And from the Pasta Fanatic that's not bad going. Please see my rating system: This one gets a lovely 4 stars. Thanks!
We really enjoyed this fast and easy sauce. I only used 1 tsp of the chili flakes as I used 3 hot Italian sausage in to bring the heat up a wee bit more. I also cut the salt down too (personal preference). Will be making this alot for our pasta. Thank you for sharing.