Recipe by Punky Julster
Another copycat from my very favorite restaurant.
Top Review by SilverXeno
This recipe tastes *nothing* like the restaurant recipe (RR). I have found several copycat (CC) recipes in the past for other dishes...so I am familiar with small changes or exceptions that occur b/c we may not have the exact details from the RR...but this was TERRIBLE! First...I am SURE the RR has garlic. Additionally, RR is BAKED with the cheese on top. There are no baking instructions on this CC. And adding WINE to dairy?? Only causes curdling. IMO, you're probably supposed to add the wine to the butter & shallots. This has virtually no flavor and reminded me of a plain bechamel with shrimp, artichokes, & spinach. I also think the artichokes used in the RR are soaked in something...They probably come packed in flavored brine or something similar. Not even a close facsimile.
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon clam juice
- 2 teaspoons dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups rough chopped spinach
- 1 cup canned artichoke heart, chopped
- 8 large shrimp, peeled, cleaned, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine half-and-half, clam juice and white wine.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter.
- Add shallots and sauté until translucent.
- Add flour to butter mixture, stirring until flour is absorbed.
- Cook, stirring constantly, 2-3 minutes.
- Add heated half-and-half mixture all at once to the shallot mix, stirring constantly with a wire whip to remove any lumps.
- Add spinach, artichokes, shrimp, cayenne and black pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, so the mixture does not scorch.
- Remove mixture from heat, and stir in cheese, if desired.
- Pour dip into bowl and serve hot.