Prep 25 mins
Cook 12 mins
Recipe created by Todd Wilbur www.TopSecretRecipes.com per the menu: "shrimp, grilled chicken, prosciutto and parmesan baked in a creamy sauce" This came in my email today from Top Secret Recipes. One of my all time favorite dishes when eating out. The description in the email is rather long, so I will just share the opening tidbit of info--this is apparently their top requested recipe, it's so popular they have even trademarked the name!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons marsala wine
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 lb penne rigate, cooked
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup about 2 ounces thick-sliced prosciutto, chopped
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 12 sliced pimientos
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- Preheat bbq grill to high.
- Prepare gratinata sauce by melting 3 tbls of butter over medium/low heat. Add garlic and sweat it for about 5 minutes. Be sure the garlic doesn't brown. Add the marsala wine and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients for the sauce and whisk until smooth. Bring mixture to a simmer and keep it there for 10 minutes or until it's thick. Cover sauce and remove from heat.
- Cook past following directions on the package (7-9 minutes in boiling water). You want the pasta tender, but not mush (al dente). Strain pasta and set it aside when it's done.
- Pound the thick end of your chicken breast a bit with a kitchen mallet to make them a uniform thickness. Rub chicken with olive oil, then sprinkle on a bit of salt and pepper. Spear the shrimp on skewers (6 per skewer should work fine), then rub them with oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill chicken for 5 to 6 minutes per side. Grill shrimp for 2 minutes per side. When chicken is done, slice each breast into strips.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Build each dish in a large shallow baking dish. Or you can use a 9 inch glass or ceramic pie plate. Load 3 cups of pasta into each baking dish. Add one quarter of the chicken, 3 shrimp, and 2 tbls of prosciutto onto each serving. Spoon 3/4 of a cup of gratinata sauce on each serving and toss to coat. Combine 3 tbls of grated Parmesan cheese with 1 1/2 tsp paprika, then sprinkle about 1 tbls of this mixture over the top of each serving. Bake the dishes for 10-12 minutes, or until tops begin to brown. Arrange 3 pimentos on the top of each serving, then jab a sprig of rosemary into the center an serve.
- I do not know the prep time, as I have just received this recipe. if anyone attempts it before me, please edit my guess.
I've made this a couple of times for company after first trying it out with my family. Everyone loved it! I've never had this at Macaroni Grill but two different couples, after having this at our house, went to Macaroni Grill and ordered this. Both came back to tell me that mine was better. There's no better review than that!!! :)
I read the reviews and set aside an hour so no stress. I cut the recipe in half, not quite enough sauce, but the taste was exactly like Macaroni Grill, I get it every time we go. I would also not cook it as long, I like the cheese more in place instead of melted in. Thanks for the recipe!!
I LOVED this recipe!! I followed the recipe exactly, I was unsure of the dijon mustard as I don't really care for it but I was pleasently surprised! Even my husband who isn't fond on cream sauces enjoyed it. It took some time but it was well worth it. This is a keeper, thank you for sharing!