The sauce is the key to this recipe....HEAVY CREAM, PARMESAN CHEESE, WINE, etc. with CHICKEN & SHRIMP, cooking the penne pasta is the easy part. This recipe makes an ample amount, and too tricky for me to attempt to scale it down. I am posting it to take advantage of Recipezaar's calculations to reduce a recipe. I'm not sure how much this recipe feeds, but I am going to guess at 8-10 servings.
Gratinata sauce use 4 1/2 cups
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1 cup marsala wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 cups heavy cream
- 1 ounce pancetta or 1 ounce bacon
- 18 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 ounces grilled chicken breasts, sliced
- 16 -24 ounces penne pasta, cooked
- 3 teaspoons chopped pimiento
- 6 ounces butter
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallot
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary
- For Gratinata Sauce: Saute butter, garlic, and rosemary until garlic begins to brown.
- Add Marsala wine and reduce by one-third.
- Add remaining ingredients, reduce by half of the original volume.
- Set aside.
- For Penne Rustica: Saute pancetta until it begins to brown.
- Add butter, shallots, and shrimp.
- Cook until shrimp are evenly pink but still translucent.
- Add chicken, salt, pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- Add gratinata sauce and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese.
- Simmer until sauce thickens.
- In a large bowl, combine shrimp& chicken mixture with the cooked pasta.
- Pour into a large casserole dish or roaster.
- Top with remaining cheese, pimientos and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 475 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove and garnish with fresh rosemary sprig.