Recipe by startnover
I love the ones at the restaurant, but they do not travel well as take out. Now I can have them whenever I want (which is not always a good thing!)
Top Review by mlstanek
This is wonderful! I baked the wontons instead of deep fried them and added some chicken to it as well. I had some left overs so I cooked some pasta and tossed the sauce and fixings with it and it was delicious! Thanks for a great recipe
- 198.44 g wonton wrappers (about 1/3 a packet)
- canola oil
- 78.07 ml fully cooked Italian sausage, crumbled
- 473.18 ml grated mozzarella cheese
- 118.29 ml fresh tomato, diced
- 59.14 ml sliced kalamata olives or 59.14 ml any black olives
- 59.14 ml chopped scallion
- 6-8 slice banana peppers (use as much or as little as you'd like, they are in the pickle section of the grocery store)
Asiago cream sauce
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 29.58 ml water
- 473.18 ml heavy whipping cream
- 2.46 ml chicken bouillon granule
- 354.88 ml shredded asiago cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- stack the wonton wrappers and slice into 3-4 sections lengthwise and then cut each strip 3 more times to make little rectangles or chips.
- Deep fry in hot canola oil till light golden brown, drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Cheese sauce:.
- Mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl, then add granules; set aside.
- In a sauce pan heat the cream.
- Slowly add cornstarch mixture, mix till thick and slowly add in cheese.
- Stir till cheese is totally melted and then turn heat to low and stir occasionally.
- Place the chips on a plate and sprinkle with1/2 the mozzarella cheese.
- Dot the top with about 2/3 c hot cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle all other ingredients evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle with as much remaining mozzarella cheese as desired.
- Serve while hot.
- Cheese sauce makes about 3 cups. Servings are for a meal, for an appetizer it would feed around 2-4 people.