Recipe by startnover
I love the ones at the restaurant, but they do not travel well as take out. Now I can have them whenever I want (which is not always a good thing!)
Top Review by mlstanek
This is wonderful! I baked the wontons instead of deep fried them and added some chicken to it as well. I had some left overs so I cooked some pasta and tossed the sauce and fixings with it and it was delicious! Thanks for a great recipe
- 7 ounces wonton wrappers (about 1/3 a packet)
- canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup fully cooked Italian sausage, crumbled
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fresh tomato, diced
- 1⁄4 cup sliced kalamata olives or 1⁄4 cup any black olives
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallion
- 6 -8 slices banana peppers (use as much or as little as you'd like, they are in the pickle section of the grocery store)
Asiago cream sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded asiago cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- stack the wonton wrappers and slice into 3-4 sections lengthwise and then cut each strip 3 more times to make little rectangles or chips.
- Deep fry in hot canola oil till light golden brown, drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Cheese sauce:.
- Mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl, then add granules; set aside.
- In a sauce pan heat the cream.
- Slowly add cornstarch mixture, mix till thick and slowly add in cheese.
- Stir till cheese is totally melted and then turn heat to low and stir occasionally.
- Place the chips on a plate and sprinkle with1/2 the mozzarella cheese.
- Dot the top with about 2/3 c hot cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle all other ingredients evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle with as much remaining mozzarella cheese as desired.
- Serve while hot.
- Cheese sauce makes about 3 cups. Servings are for a meal, for an appetizer it would feed around 2-4 people.