Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Copycat of Romano's Macaroni Grill® "Recipe adapted from Todd Wilbur's version Chicken Portobello Menu Description: "Grilled chicken breast with Portobello mushrooms, smoked mozzarella and demi glace, with a spinach orzo pasta. Fire up the grill for this take on one of Romano's most popular entrees. After you grill a couple of portobella mushroom caps, slice them thinly at an extreme angle to make wide slices that fit perfectly on top of grilled chicken breasts that have been rubbed with stone ground mustard (the kind with the whole mustard seeds in it). Romano's delicious demi glace is made from reduced veal stock, but a nice substitute can be made from a combination of canned beef broth and chicken broth. With plenty of garlic, rosemary and thyme in there, you'll have sauce that will get everyone in the house drooling as it simmers on the stove. The fresh julienned spinach tossed into the orzo pasta just before it's served scores extra points.
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 4 skinless chicken breast fillets, halved (or 8 small fillets)
- 8 slices smoked mozzarella cheese
- 8 teaspoons stone ground mustard (such as Inglehoffer)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb orzo pasta, cooked
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 3⁄4 cup diced red bell pepper (1/2 pepper)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups julienned fresh spinach
- Preheat your grill to high. Remove the stems from the Portobello.
- mushrooms and brush the caps with a coating of olive oil. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the underside of each cap, then grill for about 3 minutes per side. Remove the mushroom caps from the grill to cool for about 5 minutes. Slice the mushrooms at an extreme angle with a very sharp knife so that you get very wide slices. You want the knife almost parallel to the cutting surface so that your slices will cover the chicken breast. Take 8 of the biggest slices, cover them, then chop up the leftover mushroom to use in the sauce.
- Prepare the demi glace sauce by heating 1 tablespoon of extra virgin oil in a medium saucepan over medium/low heat. Crush 6 cloves of garlic with the palm of your hand and toss them into the oil along with the chopped mushroom pieces. Sweat the garlic and mushroom (slowly cook without browning) for 10 minutes. Add beef broth and chicken broth, then whisk in cornstarch. Add rosemary, thyme and black pepper and simmer for 40 minutes, then remove sauce from heat and cover it.
- Prepare the orzo pasta by boiling it in a large pot of water. You want.
- it al dente, which means it should be slightly tough (we'll be cooking it more later). That should take about 7 minutes. Strain pasta.
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of oil in a large stockpot or use the same pot you used for cooking the pasta. Add 2 tablespoons of minced garlic and the diced red bell pepper and saute for 1 minute. Add the strained orzo pasta, 1 cup chicken broth, 4 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Just prior to serving add spinach, stir until wilted.
- 5. Pound the chicken breasts a bit so that they are uniform in thickness.
- Rub 1/2 teaspoon stone ground mustard on each side of each chicken piece, then rub each with some oil. Grill the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until done. About 2 minutes before the chicken is done lay a slice of Portobello mushroom over top of it and top with a slice of smoked mozzarella. Finish cooking chicken and allow cheese to melt.
- Place orzo pasta mixture on a plate, shingle chicken/mushroom stack above it and top with a drizzling of demi glaze.
This is one of the best neals I've ever had at any restaurant. This recipe was dead-on! I pan seared 3 mins each side and used large boneless/skinless chicken breasts, stacked the portobello's and smoked mozz, and put in a 375 deg oven for 17 mins - perfect!