Recipe by senseicheryl
This information was found at the About.com website, cooking for kids:http://kidscooking.about.com/od/desserts/r/macgrillchoccak.htm The first time I tried the Macaroni Grill chocolate cake, I immediately wanted the recipe. It is moist on the inside with a decadent chocolate ganache topping, then it is finished off with chopped walnuts. Although I'm told the authentic Macaroni Grill chocolate cake recipe calls for coffee, I wanted to make a version for the kids. So this smothered chocolate cake recipe uses buttermilk in place of the coffee.
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk (or coffee)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 10 ounces chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup walnut pieces, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- With an electric mixer, beat mayonnaise and sugar together.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the mayonnaise mixture.
- Add half of the buttermilk to the batter, beating well.
- Add remaining flour mixture and remaining buttermilk.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted 2 inches from the edge comes out with crumbs attached.
- Let cool. Meanwhile, prepare ganache: Put chopped chocolate in a heat-resistant dish.
- Heat heavy cream over medium heat just until bubbles begin to form around the edges. Pour over chopped chocolate.
- Stir until smooth.
- Cut cake into pieces and pour ganache over each piece, so it drizzles down the sides. Garnish with chopped walnuts.