Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is from Salt Grass Steakhouse, and is wonderful. (preparation time does not include boiling the potatoes.)
- Boil potatoes a day ahead. Cover and place in refrigerator. Cut potatoes into quarters and place in large mixing bowl.
- Place butter and garlic in saucepan and heat until butter is melted. Pour over potatoes.
- Add 3 Tablespoons romano cheese, milk, jack cheese, cheddar cheese, green onions, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Squish potato mixture through your fingers, mixing thoroughly, yet leaving large potato chunks.
- Transfer to sprayed 9x13 casserole dish.
- Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon romano cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
Great comfort food, I could have made a meal of the potatoes alone! Followed the instructions exactly and had a quick side dish for dinner the next day.
I will say, that I am VERY VERY picky, I have very sensitive taste buds. So needless to say I had to learn to cook at a very young age. I followed the directions exactly and it does NOT taste at all like the dish from saltgrass. I had high hopes because I just had the dish at saltgrass 2 nights ago. It was DELISH and absolutely loved it, but I didn't like this version of it at all. There was a very funky strong aftertaste in this recipe, whereas the one from saltgrass has a very pleasant aftertaste. I think all the ingredients might be correct but the proportions of the cheeses in particular are not. Way too much Romano ( I would cut it in 1/2) and not near enough jack (this I would double). I used mild cheddar, perhaps sharp would help. I am sorry I cannot rate this any higher, but claiming it tastes like saltgrass' recipe is a FAR stretch.
Awesome recipe! I did not do the potatoes ahead and used fat free 1/2 and 1/2 instead of milk. I think next time I will reduce the butter to 1/4 cup just to save some calories, but it was wonderful.