Recipe by ChefRaylene
Easy, tasty, flavorful appetizer. I have made this plenty of times and always get rave reviews. Not sure where I got it from probably some magazine or other.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 loaf French bread, split lengthwise
- 2 cups shredded romano cheese, divided
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded and sliced into thin strips
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large skillet. Saute onion, tomatoes, pepper and garlic for 6-8 minutes until tender.
- Add seasonings and remove from heat.
- While sauteeing, cut bread loaf in half and spread spinach evenly on both sides, sprinkle with 1/2 the cheese. Top with vegetable mixture and cover with remaining cheese.
- Broil for 3 minutes.
- Cut each half into 8 serving size pieces.