Recipe by dale!
This is a really tasty, easy to put together casserole that your whole family will enjoy. The original recipe came from the label on a jar of pasta sauce. I use a smooth pasta sauce with tomato and romano cheese in it to make this but you could easily experiment with different types or use home-made.
Top Review by Chrissyo
When I went to rate this dish, I had a look to see if you had listed your recipe as "Comfort Food". Bingo! You did. Just as well! *wink* This recipe is certainly comfort food. It is BIG on flavour and amazingly easy to prepare. Our house smelt divine and I can tell you we were watching the oven to will the cheese to hurry up and brown. For some silly reason I have never rinsed my tinned kidney beans before this. I am here to swear that it is really worth that little extra step. It certainly changes and enhances the flavour of the meal. Dale, thank you for a terrific recipe. This will fast become a family favourite.
- 1⁄3 cup raw rice
- 1 cup green capsicum, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 (500 g) jar pasta sauce (I use Raguletto's Tomato and Romano cheese)
- 1 (310 g) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheese
- 2 rashes bacon, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the rice in a greased casserole dish.
- Cover the bottom evenly with the rice.
- Sprinkle with the capsicum and onion.
- Pour over half the pasta sauce.
- Layer the kidney beans on top of the sauce and then spread the uncooked mince over the top of that.
- Pour over the remaining pasta sauce and sprinkle with the bacon and cheese.
- Bake, covered, at 180 degrees C for 1 hour.
- Remove the lid for the last 10 minutes to brown the cheese.