A traditional vegetable spread found in Romania (probably in other neighboring countries as well). It is delicious on crust bread or even as a topping on rice for a quickie vegetarian meal. It is also excellent as a sandwich spread. This recipe is for a large batch intended for canning. You can cut it back if you want a smaller batch for immediate consumption.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Over an open flame (gas stove or grill) completely blacken the skins of the eggplants and peppers.
- 2Peel skins off immediately. Easiest way to get the last bits off is to do it under a slow running faucet.
- 3Puree each of the three vegetables separately in a food processor. And place each in a separate bowl when you are finished.
- 4Place oil and onion in a large pot.
- 5Saute onions for about 4 minutes over medium-low heat.
- 6Add eggplant, onion, salt and pepper.
- 7Cook until a thin layer of oil remains on top and when a spoonful of zacusca is removed, only the oil should run off the spoon, not the zacusca.
- 8Taste and adjust salt and pepper to meet your tastes.
- 9Spoon mixture into sterilized jars of your choosing. It is easiest if they are all the same size.
- 10Wipe rims clean and place clean lids and rings on jars.
- 11Place into a single layer in large pot (water bath canner if you have one).
- 12Fill pot with water up to the necks of the jars. Bring to a boil and boil for 20 minutes.
- 13Remove from heat and allow to cool in water bath.
- 14When cool remove from water and you are ready to go. If oil separates just mix it back in when ready to serve.
- 15NOTE: My original Romanian recipe calls for a full Liter of oil but results in a much heavier and oilier zacusca. I cut mine back substantially from the original.
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Romanian Zacusca
Serving Size: 1 (8231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 633.0
- Calories from Fat 405
- Total Fat 45.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 901.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.7 g
- Sugars 30.2 g
- Protein 9.6 g