Recipe by chia
i grew up eating this treat. nowadays skirt steak is very hard to find, but find it i did, this week. this is my mom's recipe, and it sure brought back memories. serve this with a baked potato and a green vegetable, spinach and asparagus work for me. if you don't have a broiler you can cook the steak in a saute pan for the same time. 7/21/06- i want to say that skirt steak is readily available if i ask the butcher. we've been grilling this dish, 4 minutes per side, and it works well too.
Top Review by Derf
Well Chia, this was a surprize, I was a little worried while cooking and putting it together that it would be tough. It was suprizingly tender and no time waiting for a marinade to work. It has to be the cross grain cutting. I cut it very thin and we do like ours medium rare. We did smear it with dejong mustard before broiling, with the onion, garlic, paprika and dejong mustard there was a lot of taste and we will make it again. Served it with a stuffed baked potato and sauted spinach and mushrooms. Lovely dinner. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs skirt steaks
- pepper, fresh ground, to taste
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat your broiler to high.
- season with pepper and broil steak for 3-5 minutes per side.
- this can be tough if it is overcooked (i like mine burnt, lol) cut into slices across the grain.
- meanwhile in a saute pan heat oil and add onion slices,garlic, and paprika, salt and pepper.
- saute until slightly browned on both sides.
- serve onions over steak.
- (optional--- smear some deli mustard on steak before broiling).