Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A traditional Romanian dish that it's on everyone's table at Christmas.
Make and share this Romanian Sarmale, Stuffed Cabbage Rolls recipe from Food.com.
- 1 sour cabbage
- 500 g beef mince
- 6 tablespoons risotto rice
- 1 egg
- 1 carrot
- 1 slice bread, soaked in
- 1 onion
- 100 -150 ml tomato paste
- 3 slices smoked bacon
- 7 peppercorns
- Peel the cabbage leaves one by one, cut them in half if they are too big and remove the stork.
- Chop the onion and carrot and fry them in a bit of oil with the rice.
- Mix the mince meat with the egg, fried onion, the slice of bread and a pinch of salt(be careful not to put a lot of salt because the sour cabbage is already salted).
- Place a tbsp of meat on the cabbage leaf and roll it tight then push the ends in with your finger.
- Chop the rest of the cabbage you didn't use sprinkling half of it on the bottom of the pan then add the tomato paste and sliced bacon.
- Put the cabbage rolls in the pan.
- Cover the cabbage rolls with water then sprinkle the bael leaves, peppercorns and the rest of the chopped cabbage.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer for 1 hour or until the cabbage it's softened.
- Serve with mamaliga and a chilly.