Recipe by Chocolatl
These are small sausages without casings. You can use beef instead of pork, but in either case it shouldn't be too lean. Adapted from the Barbecue Bible. Prep time includes 2 hours chilling time.
- 12 ounces ground pork (or beef)
- 12 ounces ground lamb shoulder
- 1 small onion, minced as finely as possible
- 2 garlic cloves, minced as finely as possible
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon paprika (hot or sweet)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pinch ground cloves (a TINY pinch)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Knead and squeeze with your hands until thoroughly blended, 3-4 minutes.
- To test for seasoning, take a small amount of the mixture and saute it in a nonstick skillet until cooked through, then taste and adjust seasonings. NEVER eat raw pork.
- Lightly oil a large plate.
- Divide meat mixture into 8 equal portions.
- Lightly wet your hands with cold water.
- Roll each portion into a sausage about 3" long and 1" in diameter.
- Place sausages on oiled plate as they are made.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and chill 2-4 hours.
- To cook:.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Oil the grill grate.
- Arrange sausages on grill.
- Cook, turning with a spatula, until cooked through and nicely browned, 6-8 minutes.